Ashley Cummins, RN, INHC
Chicken Pot Pie
3 celery stalks, diced
3 medium carrots, diced
1 large yellow onion, diced
4 T of butter
2 cups cooked shredded chicken*
1/4 cup arrowroot powder
2 cups chicken broth or stock
1/2 tsp better than bouillon chicken base
1/2 cup frozen peas
1 cup cashew cream*
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 store-bought pie doughs
1. Preheating your oven to 400 degrees.
2. Add butter, celery, carrots, and onion to a large pot over medium heat. Saute the vegetables until the onions are translucent.
3. Add the cooked chicken. Sprinkle the arrowroot powder evenly over the top and stir to combine.
4. Pour in the chicken broth and the better than bouillon paste and stir. The mixture should start to look like a creamy gravy, but still runny. Next, stir in frozen peas.
5. Add the cream and stir. Allow the mixture to cook over low heat, for about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, so the mixture can thicken. Season with thyme, salt, and pepper. Be sure to taste it and make sure it is seasoned well!
6. Add one of your pie doughs to the base of your deep pie pan. Pour the pot pie mixture on top of the dough. (If you are freezing one, the foil pie pans work great!)
7. Place the 2nd crust onto the top, pressing the edges down, and make a few slits in the crust to make sure the mixture can let out steam.
8. Bake for about 30 minutes, until the mixture is bubbly and the crust is golden brown. Let the pie cool for 10 minutes before eating.
For the shredded chicken, I like using a rotisserie chicken so as to get the dark meat deliciousness ;)
You can make cashew cream with ease at home. I take a cup of cashews and then knock off the top 10ish. Cover these cashews with water and let them soak for several hours. Doing it the night before is easiest. Blend the cashews in just enough water to cover them. I use my nutribullet. Voila....cashew cream!
This recipe was edited from the Mommy and Things blog.